OATH OF OFFICE
MANITOBA KEEWATINOWI OKIMAKANAK, INC.
I, Garrison Settee, duly elected by the Chiefs and Councillors of Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak on this 8th day of August of 2018, recognize and accept;
- That any authority the MKO Grand Chief may have shad derive exclusively and entirely from authority granted from time to time by the MKO Chiefs in Assembly, and
- That as a leader who exercises mandates, authority, responsibilities and duties delegated by the MKO Chiefs in Assembly, the MKO Grand Chief holds a sacred political trust to comply in every respect with the direction given by the MKO Chiefs in Assembly and the MKO Executive Council.
- To uphold the Constitution of the Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak,
- To uphold and to implement the direction given by the MKO Chiefs in Assembly and by the MKO Executive Council,
- To uphold the inherent rights, Customary Laws, sovereignty and authority of the MKO First Nations,
- To protect and ensure the exercise of the Treaty Rights of our First Nations,
- To promote a quality of life and well-being acceptable to the people of the MKO First Nations,
- To promote the safety and security of the people of the MKO First Nations,
- To protect and promote the fundamental human rights of the people of the MKO First Nations and the dignity and worth of the human person, and
- To recognize and protect the equal rights of the men, women, youth and children of the MKO First Nations and of our First Nations large and small, to the best of my ability as Grand Chief
Whereas the Creator defines our laws, rights and responsibilities, and drawing from this source, I pledge to honour and to give my full commitment to my obligations as delegated to me by the MKO Chiefs in Assembly at this 37th MKO Annual General Assembly.