To view this call for proposals in a PDF format, please click here.
Incorporated in 1981 as the Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO). MKO is a non-profit, political advocacy organization that provides a collective voice on issues of inherent, treaty, Aboriginal and human rights for the citizens of the 26 sovereign First Nation we represent. The MKO First Nations are signatories to Treaties 4, 5, 6 and 10. The MKO Grand Chief, elected for a three-year term, serves as the principal spokesperson.
Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO) requires the appointment of an Electoral officer for the upcoming MKO Grand Chief Election to be held during the MKO 40th Annual General Assembly on August 17, 18 & 19th 2021 in Norway House Cree Nation. The date for the election will be on August 18, 2021 on the second day of the Assembly.
Manitoba Keewatinowi is requesting proposal submissions to provide a fair process to select a suitable candidate for the role of Electoral Officer. The successful candidate will be expected to show a high level of professionalism, work with integrity and confidentially. They will also be expected to conduct the election within the directives outlined within the MKO Constitution and direction from the MKO Executive Council.
Scope of Work
The Proposal must include:
- Listing of experience.
- Three reference letters from organizations/First Nations that have utilized your services as an electoral officer.
- If you have no prior electoral officer experience, please submit three reference letters outlining your skill level and suitability for this position.
- Cost breakdown of fees and other required expenses.
- Description of the physical and human resources required to complete the duties.
- Description of any resource requirements from MKO.
Functions of the Chief Electoral Officer
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties listed below as well as any related functions outlined in the MKO Constitution or further direction provided from the MKO Executive Council.
ARTICLE VII- ELECTION RULES FOR OFFICE OF GRAND CHIEF
7.02 Electoral Officer
- Be appointed by the Executive Council of Chiefs.
- Be an impartial officer of MKO, accountable directly to the Executive Council of Chiefs.
- Be responsible for receiving nominations of candidates for the office of Grand Chief on the proper forms available.
- Be responsible for conducting the election.
- Be responsible for counting ballots after the voting has occurred.
- Announce the results of the ballot to the relevant Annual Assembly.
- If required, the Electoral Officer-Grand Chief shall have the authority to appoint Deputy Electoral officer(s) subject to the approval by the Executive council of chief’s.
7.04 Duties of the Electoral Officer:
- Distributing nomination forms and receiving nominations of candidates for the Grand Chief and ensuring that they are in proper form.
- Advising employers of the official candidacy of each candidate.
- Sending by facsimile transmission the names and brief particulars of the candidates to the members of the Board of Directors at least one (1) week before the election.
- Arranging and presiding at the all candidates forum.
- Devising and making all administrative arrangements in connection with the election at the Annual Assembly, including the destruction of the ballots upon resolution of the Board of Directors.
- Counting of the ballots (after voting has occurred) in the presence of one (1) scrutineer each appointed by the candidates.
- Announcing the results of the ballot to the Board of Directors; and declaring a successful candidate for the position of Grand Chief.
- Submitting a written report on the election, including details of results and recommendations, to the Executive council of chiefs within two (2) weeks after the election.
- Informing all candidates that they are fully responsible for financial expenditures relating to the election and they may be required to produce records of expenditures to the Board of Directors.
Please note that the submission of a proposal is not a binding agreement and MKO has no legal responsibility to potential respondents, until it enters into an agreed upon and signed contractual agreement with the successful Electoral Officer Candidate. Only those submissions received by the deadline with be considered.
Please direct questions or request for clarifications regarding the Expression of Interest to:
Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak
Suite 102-1700 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2B3
Telephone: (204) 918-8101
Fax: (204) 927-7500
Email: [email protected]
We request that proposals be submitted to MKO for review no later than June 25, 2021 at 4:00PM to the attention of Dorothy Smith:
- By Email: [email protected]
- By Fax: (204) 927-7509
- By Mail or drop off:
- Suite 102-1700 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 2B3
- 206-55 Selkirk Avenue, Thompson, MB R8N 0M5