To view this opportunity in PDF, please click here.
Court Clerk 1
Open Until Filled – Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Under the direct supervision of the Court Administrator, the Court Clerk performs a wide variety of Nisichawayasi Court support work requiring knowledge and understanding of court processes.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Process citations, complaints and supplemental information on cases filed with the court.
- Type notice of hearings, subpoenas, summons, warrants, commitments, court decrees, judgments, and program reports.
- Maintains the filing system assuring all records are secure and retrievable.
- Enters all cases and documents filed with the court into the case management system.
- Provide information to the public on court processes and procedures. Search and compiles information and data as requested.
- Receives, screens and makes the distribution of incoming mail based on the type of action to be taken. Types correspondence and submits to supervisor for review.
- Tracks fines and fee payments and maintains suspension lists.
- Receives, deposits court fine fees in the Nisi Court bank accounts.
- Prepares photocopies, verifies and certifies the validity of court documents when requested.
- Schedules hearings on the court calendar.
- Responsible for evidence received by the court and properly marks as evidence when presented.
- Acts as the court receptionist or counter clerk regarding public information.
- Attends court session and prepares a written record of all proceedings as minutes on dockets forms.
- Others duties as necessary.
- Must type at least 40 WPM. The court clerk will be required to type accurately at a rate sufficient to produce final documents and enter information into the computer systems.
- Three (3) months of clerical experience
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Ability to work independently.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma/GED and three (3) months of clerical experience, preferably court or legal experience.
Conditions of Employment
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Criminal Records Check and Child Abuse registry check.
- Must have the ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. With the ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to clients and other employees of the organization.
- Knowledge of the Cree language is preferred but not required.
- Must be willing to train.
Salary is dependant upon qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and Criminal Record Check to Nora Thomas at [email protected]
Phone: (204)282-2604 Fax: (204) 484-2604 Cell: (204) 307-1178