To view this career opportunity in a PDF format, please click here.
MKO Community Justice Worker
First Nations Justice Strategy
Chemawawin Cree Nation – Full Time Position
The Community Justice Worker (CJW) will be an employee of Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Inc. (MKO) as part of the First Nations Justice Strategy (FNJS), which is a partnership between MKO, the Province of Manitoba and the Federal Justice Departments. The FNJS works to improve the current Justice System for MKO First Nation communities by providing alternatives and initiatives to the implementation of justice. These alternatives will be provided through a Restorative Justice approach which are both culturally sensitive and appropriate.
The CJW networks with a variety of internal and external resources that will promote personal growth, healing and reconciliation for both the individual(s) and victim(s) of crime. The CJW will work with their respective community leadership by providing these alternatives that will help restore Balance, Harmony, and Peace within the community based on Traditional Indigenous Beliefs, Values, Culture and Teachings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work under the supervision of the MKO Justice Programs Manager or designate.
- To manage Pre and Post Charge Diversions, Referrals from the Court, Crown or Police
- To review and assess all referrals/diversions for suitability/eligibility for Program Participation
- To update the Crown or Police with regards to the status of the referred matter(s) and advise of all successful/unsuccessful completions and/or to request remands for on-going program involvement
- To attend training and deliver programming in the areas of Family Violence, Anger Management, peace-making, conflict resolution, mediation and any other
- To perform daily case management duties and maintain a proper filing system for any interventions, activities, or programs completed
- To provide monthly written reports to the MKO Program Manager on the status of all client referrals/diversions for tracking and statistical recording purposes
- To network with local and external resources when/as required
- To maintain confidentiality with regards to client records and programs, and advise the Program Manager(s) immediately of any conflicts of interests that may arise
- To attend Court sittings regularly and develop on-going working relationships with the Crown, Defense and Police and any other referral source(s)
- To participate in ongoing professional development and training as provided by MKO
- To work with the Justice Portfolio Councillor in maintaining or establishing a Justice Committee and providing updates in the area of Justice to Chief and Council
- To follow through with any recommendations of the Justice Committee which can include sharing circles, sentencing circles, peace-making process, mediation, conflict resolution and any other as directed or recommended
- To monitor the Fine Option and Community Service Work Program
- To comply with all policies, procedures, by-laws and directives of the First Nation Community
- To have the ability to travel, work flexible hours as required
- To possess a valid Manitoba Drivers license and access to a reliable vehicle
- To perform all other duties as assigned
- Criminal record, child abuse and vulnerable sector checks are required
Interested applicants please submit a cover letter, resume and three references by 4:00pm on March 2, 2022 to:
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (204) 778-7655
Mail: 206-55 Selkirk Avenue
Thompson, MB R8N 0N8
Cover letters, resumes and letters of references can also be dropped off at the Chemawawin Cree Nation Office by 4:00pm on March 1, 2022. Attention: Chief Easter Re: Community Justice Worker Position
We thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.