To view this document in a PDF format, please click here.
Emergency Response Coordinator
Full Time Position – Thompson
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Emergency Response Coordinator will conduct coordination of all Emergency Response and personnel aspects of Crisis Response activity for all 26 MKO First Nations in Manitoba. Liaise on behalf of MKO with partners for service delivery and coordination.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Log inbound calls;
- Log outbound activity: initial information gathering calls, follow-up from after-hours, referrals or recommendations for Response
- Provide Information on program to callers and Response Criteria;
- Record Response Plan information: crisis details, community contact, accommodations, special requirements;
- Provide resource information for callers requesting suitable program or agency not available through MKO;
- Compile Intake and Response Information for Executive Director, or delegate;
- Compile Intake Tracking Statistic Sheet for Reporting Requirements;
- Maintain up-to-date information/resources for off-reserve support or other services during Response;
- Maintain active knowledge of emergency services available in Manitoba Region;
- Provide Reporting for Intake Activity to the Executive Director, or delegate;
- Coordinate and plan with the delegated MKO Response Team;
- Ensures the secure handling and storage of confidential documents;
- Assists other team members and carries out other duties as needed and assigned.
- Maintain up-to-date Event Response Readiness Roster;
- Receive Direct Referrals from First Nations Contacts in established relationship;
- Communicate and distribute Response Plans for stakeholders, First Nations and partners;
- Liaise with External Resources, Service Providers and Coordinate joint efforts or supports for First Nations;
- Provide Urgent Response Activity: State of Emergency, Community Natural Disaster Evacuation Support, Canadian Red Cross Partnership-Support, Indigenous Services Canada & other partners;
- Assign MKO Response Team Members in trip planning, preparations and establishing relationships with First Nations;
- Make last-minute urgent changes to staffing on established Response Plans-redeploy MKO staff, flights, communicate with Finance, communicate with First Nation, stakeholders and partners;
- Provide Reporting as needed;
- Meet, plan, consult with MKO Administration on needs or aspects of Response;
- Provide up-to-date, up-to-minute report to Executive Director or Respective First Nation on active-case emergency or urgent issues;
- Work with jurisdictional Crisis Response Teams, Wellness Teams, Community Support Workers, Health Organizations and any other programs/agencies or organizations engaged in an Emergency Event.
Education and Experience
- 5 years Training and Experience with Emergency Response (such as Fires, Floods, Natural Disasters, Pandemics, etc…)
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently while functioning as part of a team;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and pay attention to detail;
- Ability to travel on short notice;
- Produce a satisfactory criminal record, child abuse and vulnerable sector checks.
- Training and/or certification and/or experience setting up Emergency Operations Centers and Incident Command Structure;
- Degree or other related diploma ideal;
- 3-5 years’ of experience in administration;
- Experience working in a crisis response environment;
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- A valid class 5 driver’s license;
- Working knowledge of Internet, E-mail and other business-related computer software;
A current Police Security Clearance and satisfactory Criminal Records check
Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience
Interested applicants are invited to submit their cover letter identifying the position applying for and resume, along with 3 professional reference listings (include a most recent employer reference) by: 4:00 PM on July 3, 2023 to Shawna Flett at [email protected]
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.