To view this media release in a PDF format, please click here.
Food Bank Supervisor
MKO Food Bank
Full Time Position – Thompson, Manitoba
Under the direction of the Urban Initiatives Manager, the MKO Food Bank Supervisor will supervise and meet the performance requirements to ensure that the MKO Food Bank operations are always met. All work will be carried out in a manner consistent with MKO’s policy and Indigenous culture and values.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide and/or arrange the provision of short-term safe and culturally appropriate mental wellness supports while respecting individual and family beliefs, traditions, customs, and spirituality.
- Provides training and manages staff and volunteers to ensure that daily client needs are met.
- Embraces the MKO Food Bank core value to serve those in need with kindness and compassion.
- Ensures Operational Handbook is studied by Food Bank Supervisor and staff.
- Manage all aspects of food inventory procurement, controls, and distribution.
- Maintain adequate food supply inventory to provide the best quality food for budgeted amount of people bi-weekly.
- Inventory check list completed weekly.
- Order and receive food and validate invoices from food bank.
- Pickup, receive, and record food donations.
- Ensure food bank staff stock warehouse and ensure all food is sorted and stored in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Inventory of all food quarterly and provide required food bank reports.
- Work with local area grocery stores for possible food donations for food pick-ups from stores using the MKO truck.
- Utilize FIFO (first in, first out) inventory practices to ensure food quality and minimize waste.
- Organize and oversee food distribution process with help of other staff and volunteers.
- Orient volunteers to food available and tasks to be done to prepare for food distributions.
- Organize packing for bi-weekly deliveries to elders and those with mobility issues for home deliveries.
- Implement food safety policies and procedures as enforced by Food, Nutrition Canada-Government of Canada
- Train, motivate, supervise, and evaluate paid staff.
- Schedule staff to ensure consistent, adequate support for operations.
- Develop volunteer opportunities for students/other.
- Maintain a clean, well-ordered warehouse and property.
- Assist Urban Initiative Manager with year-end budget process for staff, warehouse equipment, and other areas of operations.
Education and Experience
- A post-graduate degree: an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of MS Excel and Word
- Supervisory and Operations experience required.
- Strong communication and leadership skills – position requires ability to interact and communicate with staff, volunteers, and community (donors from various sectors).
- Training in de-escalation techniques desired (will provide training).
- Knowledge of warehouse safety, storage practices, and inventory management required.
- Strong organization and time management skills required.
- Able to work as a collaborative team member in delivering customer service.
- Certified in food handling safety standards desired (will provide training if needed).
- This position requires walking, standing, sitting, and lifting boxes up to 40 lbs., and the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Service-oriented with a passion for helping with people orientated projects
- Solid interpersonal communication skills, with an emphasis on active listening
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to build strong relationships and gain trust with urban members & staff
- Empathetic approach, a non-judgmental attitude, and a willingness to be patient
- Strong problem solving and leadership skills
- Level head with the ability to stay calm, even in high-pressure situations
- Time management skills and the willingness to prioritize the needs of urban members & staff
- Ability to maintain intake & organization confidentiality
- Proven compassionate and patient demeanor
Salary is dependant upon qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and two (2) references by 4:00 PM on March 21, 2023 to Shawna Flett at [email protected].
We thank all applicants, only those applicants considered for further review will be contacted.