The National Indigenous Fire Safety Council (NIFSC) Project is the result of a new Indigenous developed framework designed to support Indigenous communities in developing their internal capacity to improve community safety and resilience. The project is Indigenous inspired, designed, and led in collaboration with regional and national Indigenous communities, organizations, and leaders.
The project has the following objectives:
- Create an Indigenous organization collaboratively developed by national and regional Indigenous bodies to serve Indigenous communities (‘for us, by us’)
- Negotiate an established and sustainable funding model for the organization
- Create a National Incident Reporting System
- Be driven by strategic priorities instead of political agendas
- Create and promote Indigenous fire service careers and certified training
- Create inclusive programs that can be subscribed to by all Indigenous communities
There is no cost to the First Nations to use this program.
For more information about the project, please visit indigenousfiresafety.ca.
You can find their incident reporting form at indigenousfiresafety.ca/incident-report.
You can find more information in this PDF file.