The community-based stream of the New Horizons for Seniors Program (NHSP) Call for Proposals is now accepting applications. This is a federal grant that supports community-based projects that are designed and led by seniors. Projects are to be volunteer based.
Eligible organizations can apply for up to $25,000 for projects.
Projects submitted for this grant must meet at least 1 of the following program objectives:
- promoting volunteerism among seniors and other generations
- engaging seniors in the community through the mentoring of others
- expanding awareness of elder abuse, including financial abuse
- supporting the social participation and inclusion of seniors
- providing capital assistance for new and existing community projects and/or programs for seniors
Please note: If the proposed project is requesting capital assistance, it must meet at least 2 program objectives.
Projects do not have to meet the National priorities, however, if your project meets 1 or more of the National priorities, it will receive extra points during the assessment process.
- Priority 1: Supporting healthy ageing
- Priority 2: Preventing senior abuse
- Priority 3: Celebrating diversity and promoting inclusion
- Priority 4: Helping seniors to age in place
Eligible organizations include:
- non-profit organizations
- provincial or territorial government, institution or Crown Corporation
- Indigenous organization including:
- band council
- tribal council, and
- self-government entity
- coalition, network or committee
- research organization or institute
- educational institution
- public health and social services institution
- for-profit organization provided that the nature and intent of the activity is non-commercial and does not generate profit
The following organizations are eligible with the agreement of their provincial or territorial government:
- post-secondary institutions
- social service and public health institutions
- provincially/territorially funded institutions
Please note: For organizations with multiple locations, each location can apply for funding so long as they operate independently and have a separate governing structure. Organizations with multiple locations that operate under 1 governing structure can receive only $25,000 total for all locations.
- be no longer than 52 weeks
- request no more than $25,000
- meet at least 1 program objective
- seniors will lead or play a vital role in its planning and/or delivery
- seek to benefit seniors and communities
- demonstrate cost effectiveness
How to Apply
- View the Applicant Guide by clicking here.
- Complete the Budget Detail Template found here.
- Apply one of 2 ways:
Application Deadline: 2:00 pm on November 1, 2022.
Organizations can only submit 1 application per project. Multiple projects may not exceed a total of $25,000 per organization.
For information on how your application will be assessed, please click here.
If you have any questions during the application process, you can contact the New Horizons for Seniors Program at any time:
- Mail: New Horizons for Seniors Program, Government of Canada, 125 E10th Avenue, Vancouver BC V5T 1Z3
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 1-855-312-0400
The New Horizons for Seniors Program will hold Information Sessions online or via teleconference. To take part in an information session, send the program an email. In your email, include if you prefer to take part in English or French.