The Government of Canada launched the New Horizons for Seniors Program 2021-2022 call for proposals for community-based projects across Canada. You can apply until December 21, 2021.
The online application and applicant guide is available on the Employment and Social Development Canada website here.
The New Horizons for Seniors Program supports projects that address the following objectives:
- Promoting volunteerism among seniors and other generations;
- Engaging seniors in the community through the mentoring of others;
- Expanding awareness of Elder abuse, including financial abuse;
- Supporting the social participation and inclusion of seniors; and
- Providing capital assistance for new and existing community projects and/or programs for seniors.
What’s New for the 2021-2022 Call for Proposals?
- One application stream: Community-based projects are eligible to receive up to $25,000 in grant funding. New applicants and organizations that have not been funded in the past five years are encouraged to apply.
- To simplify the application process and provide funds to communities more rapidly, organizations need to complete and submit their application online.
- Organizations are invited to apply for funding that supports the program’s national priorities:
- Supporting healthy aging
- Including addressing social isolation, including through supporting seniors’ digital literacy, addressing ageism, mental health and dementia, and by developing and delivering virtual programming for the above.
- Preventing senior abuse
- Including helping seniors navigate access to government benefits and providing support to file their taxes, supporting financial empowerment of seniors, and measures to reduce crimes and harm against seniors.
- Celebrating diversity and promoting inclusion
- Including promoting intergenerational mentoring and engagement, and serving members of the following vulnerable groups: Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of racialized and newcomer groups, members of LGBTQ2+ communities, low-income seniors and veterans.
- Helping seniors to age in place
- Including providing practical supports to seniors to help them remain in their homes longer.
How to Submit your Online Application:
The New Horizons for Seniors Program strongly recommends you use this PDF application before you complete your online application to avoid your application being timed out after 20 minutes or potential technical difficulties from using the “Save and Continue” function.
If you choose to email your application, please include all supporting documents outlined in the Applicant Guide to ensure the application won’t be deemed incomplete or potentially rejected.
For all Online applications:
When your online application was successfully submitted to the New Horizons for Seniors Program ( NHSP); you will be provided with a confirmation number. Please print your confirmation number and keep it for future reference purposes with Service Canada.
The Online application process will ask you to submit the following 3 documents:
- Proof of Organization
- Letter of Support
- Capital Cost Quote
- When the application correctly identifies a request of funding for capital costs (renovations or repair) in the Budget section of the application, The applicant is then prompted to upload a quote.
Please Note: The Online application process does not allow the upload of the Budget detail template. In order to complete your application, please submit your detailed budget template and any additional supporting documents that were not included in your application to New Horizons Seniors Program by email within the 2 days following your application submission.
Please include the following in your submission of supporting documents:
- The name of your organization
- The title of your proposed project
- The confirmation number provided during online submission
To submit by email: [email protected]